Sunday, October 18, 2009

CI 5441: Course Readings-- Wk 7: Oct 20

I found the readings for this week to be both incredibly insightful and interesting, but at the same time a bit daunting. The different authors of our readings each expressed in their writings elements of the type of classroom I want to create, but now I find myself worried about being able to accomplish all that they have set out on the table.

I desperately want to create the type of social justice classroom that Christensen defines as a combination of belief, multiculturalism, empowerment, critique, and growth. It is extremely important that teachers believe in the abilities of their students and make these beliefs known. Christensen passionately claims, “Teachers must see the gifts that each student brings to class, not the deficits. The teacher must absolutely believe in the potential of the student, but even more essentially, the teacher must believe in the right of the student to have access to a rigorous education” (171). In doing this, students can overcome the damage down by other teachers and members of society who have told them otherwise. I loved the quote by one of Christensen’s students who asked, “Why figure out ahead of time for people what they’re going to do with their lives?” (170)—it is up to the individual to figure this out for themselves and to create the future they want without the doubt placed on them by society.

One of these prejudgments made by society concerns language—what is right and what is wrong. The readings emphasized the political aspects connected to language and how as teachers we can try and combat ideas of right and wrong. Christensen mentions her own torment in school over the correct pronunciation of “lawyer.” Myself, whenever I tell someone that I am an English major, they automatically reply, “Oh, better watch what I say around you!” implying that I will constantly be on the look-out for misuse of the English language. While I might occasionally help friends who are trying to learn English as a second language, I do not go around with my Standard English radar looking for people I can humiliate with my “superior” understanding of the “right” way to speak.

Christenbury and Chritensen’s pieces resonated with both speech and writing. I had never thought about how I would handle different Englishes in my classroom. Christensen’s idea of “correct and connect” is a great idea to start with (101). Christensen notes that, “Students need to know where to find help, and they need to understand what changes might be necessary, but they need to learn in a context that doesn’t say, ‘The way you said this is wrong’” (101). In creating this environment students can feel more able and comfortable in communicating their thoughts rather than worrying about avoiding errors. I know now that I need to come up with a grading system that will reflect these ideas while still trying to help students become more comfortable with the “power” language they are sure to encounter.

Christensen also emphasizes the need to ground lessons around the lives of our students. By carefully selecting texts and activities that illustrate the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students we can create an environment that is multicultural and empowers students. When students can see that their own lives and experiences are the basis for their education, they can learn how to look at the real world in a different way and work together to try and make it a better place. This leads into the preparation for social critique that comes from reading, discussing, and reinventing issues found within literature. When students are given the tools to do this and asked to work together in their classroom community they will be all the more prepared to take on the world around them. The growth that this type of education creates in students is priceless. Not only does this form of curriculum give them the abilities they need, it gives them the necessary confidence to draw from.

They most troubling section for me was Delpit’s article about power in the classroom. I do not see myself as a strong authoritative figure and I know that I employ the indirect directives mentioned in the article. My eyes were definitely opened to the difficulties that might arise through these characteristics and I am not sure how I can combat them. It will take a great deal of attention and reflection on my part, but I hope this is something that I can keep in mind as I begin my teaching journey. I know one thing though, I mustn't let them see my fear!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Meredith! I totally agree with your statement about the readings being a bit daunting. The vision of the English classroom that is laid out in the articles is intimidating. I also really liked the first quote you pulled from the articles: it seems like common sense that a teacher must start with the belief that all students can succeed and that all students should have access to a rigorous education. I think there are a lot of "deficit-based" teachers out there, though, who see students mostly as a collection of things they do not know, of gaps that must be filled, and of problems that must be solved.

    I think it is important to remember that the ideals that are espoused in these articles are jsut that "ideal." We aren't going to be perfect teachers(especially as first-years!), and no matter how good we get we will always be able to get better. I think if we look at the vision of the English classroom from these articles as a goal we march towards, rather than a state we attain or do not, it helps the task seem a bit less daunting. It will remind us that we aren't ever done learning to be a better teacher. It will comfort us when we realize we aren't there yet.

    I also related to your last paragraph. I know that I have my own set of issues that will work against me as a teacher. But just knowing where you need to improve is a good first step. With time and experience in the classroom, you will learn to be as authoritative as you need to be. Someday, I hope to control my knee-jerk reaction to correct people's grammar, a habit I developed being mercilessly corrected by a copy editor grandmother and a grammar-expert mother while I was growing up.

    We'll get there, Meredith. At the very least, we'll get better at it :)

    ReplyDelete