Saturday, October 24, 2009

CI 5441: Course Readings-- Wk 8: Oct 27

When it comes to discussions on literature within the classroom, I never realized how many different strategies could be employed to create a meaningful conversation among students. I’m glad that this week’s readings provided us with a few strategies we can test out in the classroom. I love the concept of a literature circle, the profound ideology behind the Socratic Circle, and the new advances in technology that take the discussion out of the classroom.

The Daniels article on literature circles provided a great definition and outline for literature circles. What I thought was the most interesting, and perhaps important element to remember as a teacher, is the importance of choice. Daniels notes that “Student choice tops the list, because the deepest spirit of literature circles comes from independent reading” (18). The choice of text offered in the literature circle is compared to the choice given to children by their parents in what books to read before bed, or whenever. While this is something that would no doubt be limited in the classroom, I think Daniels is right when he says, “you can’t fall in love with books that someone stuffs down your throat. For reading to become a lifelong habit and deeply owned skill, it has to be voluntary, anchored in feelings of pleasure and power” (19). I want reading to become a pleasurable experience and passion for my students and I hope I can give them the autonomy that will further this hope along.

Overall, I think that the literature circle is a great idea and I believe Copeland is right when he links them with Socratic circles. I can easily imagine how it would be useful to use both of these techniques in the classroom as ways to promote student-driven learning. Copeland notes that through the Socratic circle students will learn “that all new understanding is linked to prior understanding, that thought itself is a continuous thread woven through our lives rather than isolated sets of questions and answers” (8)—while this might be a bit existential, I love it! I think this is a profound insight that will be helpful in teaching students the malleability and constant reshaping of thought as we add and expand our experiences to shape understanding. This connects with his later acknowledgement that the Socratic circle will help students, “quickly see critical thought as an ongoing, developing skill rather than some secretive society to which some students belong and others do not” (12).

He further adds, “A Socratic circle turns the vast majority over of the guidance of the conversation and the ownership of the material over to the students” (9). Similar to the literature circle, the idea it that when given the reins of their education, students will be more motivated to fully engage in the development and creation of that learning—a constructivist view that I fully support!

I think the main thing I will take away from these articles—and perhaps my favorite point—is that in using these strategies we are teaching students to take their reading and learning into their own hands. By giving them the ability to chose their own text, form their own hypothesis, take their own notes, and discuss their ideas with their peers and teachers on a more equal level, we are preparing students for the future. We are actively giving them the tools that they will use to navigate in the “real world.” Daniels says that, “Students must learn to take full responsibility for locating, selecting, and pursuing books, rather than always expecting teachers or other adults to choose for them” (20). By reducing student reliance on teachers, we open up a whole new realm of possibilities and responsibilities for students that will lead them into a more successful life beyond the reaches of the classroom. Awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meredith!

    I think you are very, very correct about student choice being such an important part of making a literature circle work. All students benefit from choice, but it's especially important for those who aren't interested in reading or who view reading as a chore/task, not a joy. Giving them some agency in their reading is a great first step to turning them into readers by choice.

    The Socratic circle method was very interesting to me, even moreso than lit circles (although I certainly hope to use both!). I feel like the Socratic circle pushes critical thinking and social engagement about reading to another level. I also noted that Copeland specifically mentioned using the two methods in tandem - I think the ideas from both will lead to a more engaged classroom and an environment that supports reading for class and for fun.

    I especially like the quote you pulled from the Daniels article about students learning to locate, select, and pursue books for themselves - all critical aspects of helping students turn into independent readers.

    ReplyDelete